Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

I Don't Worship a Zombie


Today is Resurrection Sunday (a.k.a. Easter) and while reading three different wall posts on Facebook, I came across the phrase "Zombie Jesus". Now, each of the three occurrences used the phrase in completely different contexts. However, it caused me to think, "How strong is this meme?"

So, I did a basic search and came across several different items
This is just a small sampling of what is out there. I had no idea.

I am saddened by this imagery. I'm not saddened that there are people out there that would mock Christian beliefs. People have mocked and ridiculed Christianity from the beginning. I am saddened that we as Christians have done such a poor job of explaining our faith that people can make the confused comparison between demented reanimated flesh and a resurrected Lord.

However, we live in strange times. There is a church in Corpus Christi, Texas whose Easter worship services seem more like a jumbo sized version of a "My Favorite Things" episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show than a Christian worship service (www.reporternews.com/news/2010/apr/03/the-million-dollar-giveaway/) . This material message of "free gifts" and the comparison being made that the Easter message is as simple as receiving your "free gift" of heaven without any consequence, commitment, or anything else is pretty sickening. Not to mention the distortion that the good news of the Gospel is ONLY talking about a promise of an afterlife in heaven.

Is it any wonder that we are being mocked with the "Zombie Jesus" meme? Is there any truth to this imagery? To me, it seems like a lot of Christians are walking around like "brain dead" zombies. Could this be part of the problem?

But I didn't start writing this blog post to complain or chastise. Rather, my main goal is to proclaim to the world that I do not worship a Zombie. Jesus the Christ is Risen, Alleluia! My Lord is not some reanimated flesh with a hunger for brains. My Lord lives and if you ask me how I know he lives - well, he lives within my heart!



Notes/Credits:
  1. Zombie image courtesy of SXC. Used with permission.
  2. The last sentences is inspired by the hymn "He Lives". Words and music by Alfred H. Ackley.


No comments: