Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

I Forgive You




Doctor Who is a serialized science fiction program produced by the BBC. The show features a Gallifreyan Time Lord known simply as the Doctor. At the end of the 2007 season, the Doctor’s archenemy and fellow Time Lord, the Master, returns to reek havoc. The Master imprisons the Doctor and puts him through some pretty painful physical experiences. With a little help from his friends, the Doctor escapes his prison and is restored to health. At this point the Master looks shocked. We see a sense of dread across the Master’s face as he realizes what is about to happen. We hear him plead, “No, no. I know what you are going to do. Don’t do it.”

The Doctor approaches the Master with arms outstretched and says three words, “I forgive you.”

The look of pain on the Master’s face is a wonder to behold. With three simple words the Doctor has completely turned the table. He has not succumbed to the fear and hate of the Master. He has won the day with goodness and love.

I’m not sure what religion Russell T. Davies (the producer and writer of this Doctor Who episode) does or does not practice but this scene speaks to me as a Christian. I am reminded when on the day of his crucifixion, Jesus spoke from the cross and said, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34 NRSV)

The message to forgive, not just when it’s pleasant or convenient but even when in the midst of agonizing pain is powerful indeed. Lord, as I reflect this day on the meaning of the cross, instill in me a forgiving heart so that I may be more like you each and every day.



Image courtesy of www.inmangine.com

No comments: