Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Angels Shutting Mouths

Today I finished reading the book An Altar in the World.  The book is a collection of twelve essays by former Episcopalian Priest Barbara Brown Taylor.  I liked the book and found something to cherish in each chapter.  I was particularly touched by one paragraph in the second chapter on the topic of reverence.  Brown writes:
"Some of the most reverent people I know decline to call themselves religious.  For them, religion connotes belief.  It means being able to say what you believe about God and why.  It also means being able to hold your own in a debate with someone who believes otherwise.  They, meanwhile, are not sure what they believe.  They do not want to debate anyone.  The longer they stand before the holy of holies, the less adequate their formulations of faith seem to them.  Angels reach down and shut their mouths."
As a person whose spiritual and religious beliefs are deeply personal and very important and as a person who cherishes good conversation with others on religious subjects, I empathize deeply with those that do not want to debate.  I don't want to debate.  Often, I think people have trouble grasping the concept that I don't want to debate and merely wish to share.  If I have to choose between religious debate and silence, I'll pray for more angels and more mouth shutting.


No comments: